Saturday, April 17, 2010

old radios and life

Last night I picked up a 1950s vintage AM radio at an auction,I got it home and plugged it in and I think it transported me back a few years.I've always loved radios,mostly for the music but I've played with CBs and weather radios and even listened to shortwave a little.That old radio still works pretty good and it got me thinking about growing up in the 1960s and riding with Mom and Dad in the car,coming home late on a Saturday night.Most cars in the 1960s still only had AM radios and they really weren't much to listen to during the day but usually about 6:00 in the evening the smaller stations would start singing off and after about 9:00 the big stations with the 50,000w transmitters would crank them up,you could pick up stations from miles away.If we were on the road on a Saturday night,we were usually listening the the Wheeling Jamboree from WWVA in Wheeling W.Va,it came in great from anywhere in PA,not quite like HD or satellite does today but hey,it was all we had.I believe as a kid I listened to a lot more radio than watched TV and while AM radio isn't like it used to be,I still enjoy going back in time sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment